Replacing Elastic in Grovia Shells – A Cautionary Tale

4

February 5, 2013 by Leah

I bought a “pre-loved” Grovia diaper “shell,” or cover, from another mama knowing full well the elastic in the back needed to be replaced. I was all, “I can do this, I know how to sew,” because this cover plus some gPants – another kind of diaper cover – cost me about what a new shell costs by itself.

DSC03372

Here’s the shell on the left, next to a Grovia shell in perfect working order. The back of the shell is at the top. I grabbed my seam ripper and started exploring. I could feel the elastic was still tacked in to one side of the diaper, so I randomly picked a seam to unravel on the back of the diaper. Don’t do this.

Pictured below, where the tag is, is the seam I should have started with (and where I went next).

DSC03376

Unpicking stitches.

DSC03377

Starting to get access to what I need access to.

Image

Here is what the baby is doing while I’m undoing seams:

ImageYay, I have a hole and can see where the elastic is attached!

DSC03389

Here is where I make my mistake. I start undoing the top seam holding the two layers together in order to understand what is going on.

DSC03390

I have located the elastic (which is still in good working order, but somehow came unmoored from the other side) and ripped out several inches of top seam. Eek!

DSC03398

The baby has now found some exercise equipment to play with.

e blog

I get the elastic and use the old safety pin trick to get it back through what remains of the channel it is supposed to go through.

DSC03399

Hey, the shape is looking right!

DSC03400

Then I have to sew things up. This is where I wish I had never touched the top seam and instead come in from the side where the tag is, because after the elastic is reattached it’s really hard to repair the top seam without sewing the elastic into the seam. Which is ridiculous as you want the channel around the elastic to move. That is the whole point of elastic.

Anyway, I managed. I accidentally sewed a bit of elastic into the seam at each end, as you can tell from this picture, but the diaper cover is fully functional again.Image

If not exactly elegant.Image

And here it is in action.

DSC03409

Shortly after I finished this, someone gave me the link to Grovia’s picture tutorial on replacing elastic. It is here.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Replacing Elastic in Grovia Shells – A Cautionary Tale

  1. Shannon Reed says:

    So funny that he was into the books while you were doing it, lol. LOVE the grovia diapers and very glad to know how to replace that elastic!

  2. Janice says:

    Do you know what the width is of the original elastic? I bought 1/4″ but I’m afraid I may have bought the wrong size!

  3. Cagey Macks says:

    You are super funny. Thanks a ton for the tutorial, plus the “real world” baby action shots. My baby dumped an iced tea on his head while I was examining my elastic. Doh.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: