March 18, 2011 by Leah

I pulled out the winter garden today, which was quite the learning experience. We ended up with a sizable harvest of carrots, chard, and green garlic.

We also ended up with maybe six tiny beets, three bean pods (with five beans total), and four pea pods.

Green garlic, bean and pea harvest

I didn’t realize the green garlic would look like green onions, but I’m excited about cooking with it.

Some of the carrots and all of the beets

Almost all of the bean plants, about which I have had a sneaking suspicion of ill health for several months, had roots that looked like this:

I’m guessing it is some sort of fungus. The internet hasn’t been too helpful in the way of diagnosing the problem, but I think I’ll keep these guys out of the compost anyway.

I washed, stemmed, chopped and blanched the chard for freezing and I plan to use it like frozen spinach.

Some of the carrots I ate while I was washing them, others are destined for tomorrow’s lentil soup, and still others inspired me to make this throwback for lunch:

Carrot raisin salad!

Carrot raisin salad!

Aaron had never heard of carrot raisin salad. I find this bizarre.

In the spirit of using everything, I also cooked the beets and beans for lunch.

Beets and beans

That’s my smallest pot, so we didn’t exactly get a bumper crop. On the other hand, I think this was the first time I ever had fresh fava beans. They were delicious.

7 thoughts on “Harvest

1. Allison says:

Your thumb is literally green in the picture! Good job!

2. gia says:

Carrot raisin salad? Brilliant! I think you need some pretty gardening gloves, no?

3. Marla says:

good job! i’m just now getting beets. beans are a warm weather crop, and i do recall you having some really cool nights. i have not seen the white nodules on my beans, how did the plants look? in good soil or when you have inoculated them, legumes have nodes on the roots. it is a symbiotic rhizobial bacteria. it is the bacteria that pull the nitrogen from the air.

4. leahkathlyn says:

@Gia, yes gardening gloves! 🙂 @Marla, you are totally brilliant. A Google images search for “legume root nodules” pulled up exactly my (apparently beneficial) root nodules. Lack of beans may have just been seasonal.

5. David G says:

What else besides carrots and raisins are in the salad? I have never heard of it either.

You said that you de-stemmed the chard, what did you do with the stems? That is my favorite part. If you look there are recipes just for the stems. I like to use mine in soups and stir-fry.

Congrats on the harvest.

6. leahkathlyn says:

@David I think the salad must have originated either in the Midwest or a generation or two ago. Apparently it’s not the staple I thought it was. The one I made today was shredded carrots and raisins tossed in a dressing of plain yogurt with honey, cinnamon, and salt. I’ll look into recipes for chard stems. I’ve roasted chard stems plenty of times.

7. David G says:

I was reading a new book, The Joy of Keeping a Root Cellar, and in their planting/harvesting guidelines they have an interesting bit of information (actually the book is packed with great info).

One of the cardinal rules of companion planting is never to plant any of the Allia family (garlic Leeks, or onions) next to peas or beans because it will inhibit the latter’s growth and productivity.

This might be why your peas did so poorly.